As I write this I find myself wearing for the first time this year, shorts and a t-shirt (my fav purple Dangermuffin one to be exact). The windows are open in the house and I can hear the crack of bats and cheers from the Little League baseball game going on in my back yard. Have I mentioned my backyard is a Farm League baseball field/stadium? The Bend Elks play in here in the Summer, but I guess they use it for Little League now. Anyway, it adds a nice Spring like feel to the air. Yesterday I went for a long bike ride with a friend. We went all over town! Bend is divided into quarters-SE,NW, SW, NE with downtown being in the center. I live in the Southeast side (the crappy part of town), but we rode through the Old Mill, downtown, went to the Library to return a book, then got a coffee treat..headed across the river to the West Side (the trendy part that I hope to live in next). Up the hill and had dinner, then back across town home. It was delightful! I felt very urban to ride my bike all over town. Why I did not do that more back home in Charleston, I am not sure.
Its been a while since I have updated this, so lets see...what other fun adventures have I had? A couple weekends ago I went on an Outback Adventure. The Oregon Outback is an area just East of here. Its mostly high desert, with some cool outcroppings and buttes. We went off road most the trip, which you can do here. Just take a dirt BLM or forest road for miles and miles and mile. You could even drive clear into neighboring states and never touch pavement! It amazes me.

On the trip I went spelunking in a lava cave. These are tubes that are left after the lava flow went through, hardened and left a underground tube. I found this experience to be slightly terrifying, but fun at the same time. I don't think it helped that I fell pretty much as soon as we got in the cave good on a ice covered rock. I saw it was covered in a pure sheet of ice, but for some reason still thought it to be a good idea to step on. I hit the ground pretty quick! Luckily no injuries, just made me a bit more timid for the rest the hike. Next stop was a Crack in the Ground. Oh and I also saw the "Worlds Largest Tree". It may have actually just been, at one time, the largest Juniper in Oregon...till a larger one was found. I feel my description is much more exciting though!


Last weekend we had a fundraiser for work. It was a talent show at the Tower Theater. It went well, but for sure was no Marsh Jam (oh, but I think it did actually raise some money). Anyway, Tower Theater is this great old venue in downtown. I saw Todd Snider there earlier in the week. I got to meet some of the staff and ended up signing up to volunteer for events there. The lady said they have a great group of volunteers who are pretty active and social. Of course, I think 80% of them, if not all, are retired folks. You know they say this is were young people come to retire, so it seems fitting. I also took a mid-day Water Running class at the Rec Center pool last week. Met some nice little ladies, average age 72. It was a good work out though!
No comments:
Post a Comment