I am excited to announce I am taking the proper steps to complete my ski-bum transformation. It is not complete yet, as I cant at this moment (or probably ever) compete with my fellow ski bums that have ridden the mountain everyday since it opened on Thanksgiving. In fact its a source of embarrassment that I only have 8 days on my pass so far. But as with all things, it is a process.
I picked up a part time job this Winter working at the local mountain in the rental shop. I pretty much love it! The people I work with are fun, I get to ski all season for free at my resort plus pretty much any other ski area in the PacNW and a handful in Colorado and Utah. Of course, getting to Colorado and Utah is a bit hard when you are working for minimum wage. Oh and did I mention the free bus ride to work and coffee from the cafeteria? I prefer the hot coco/coffee mix (a throw back to my camp counselor days), but its now been labeled a Montana Mocha by my co-worker in the shop.
I remember the days when I was envious of my friends who had just up and moved to the Mountains, got a job on the slopes and became a ski bum. Oh the stories I heard from Tabitha when she moved to Crested Butte! And a family reunion did not go by that we did not talk about "famous" Cousin Chuck and his adventurous soul. So now its my turn for adventure, and for those of you who are reading this from your cubical at Initech and debating the Ski Bum life, I have some pointers. (please see disclaimer in 1st paragraph...I do not claim to fully carry the Ski Bum title, yet)
1) Do it when you are 22! As romantic and fun as this lifestyle sounds and looks in the movies...not many wild nights are had when your bed time is a strict 10pm. Grabbing a drink at Happy Hour has become my "big night on the town", and its not uncommon for my to be in my pajamas by 7pm. I have always required more sleep (or just like to sleep) but at 30 its much harder to function on little to no sleep than if I were 22.
2) Do not work another part time job. It cramps your ski bum style. Your co-workers will judge and give you a hard time for not skiing after work. The "but I have to get to my other job" excuse wont work either, unless its followed up by a statement about your Food Stamp balance or hoping to make rent. Expressing your lack of money does sometimes win you points back.
3) Ski after work! Only having 8 days on your pass 2 months into the ski season is not acceptable. Try to ride every day. When offered a Ride Break (those exist) during a long shift take it. Refrain from using the "I'm just really tired and need a nap" excuse as to why you are not skiing. (See #2 for co-workers reactions) You will regret it later. Its better to stay and ride and bump back the bed time to 9:30pm.
4) Wear a helmet. Everyone is doing it!
5) Embrace the sport. I learned to wax my own skis, something I never considered something I could do on my own. It was not hard, and I felt a bit of pride when I slide down the hill, my newly waxed skis easily sliding on the snow. Learn about the equipment, and the lingo. It gives you something to talk about on the bus, and makes you sound professional talking to guest/customers.
6) Take advantage of all the perks. The pay alone is not enough to compensate the work. Take advantage of your Ride Breaks (see #3), free season pass, bus ride to work, free coffee, and reciprocal passes to other mountains. Last Sunday was my first full day off from every job in 3 weeks. I wanted more than anything to spend the whole day sleeping or maybe cleaning house, but I had to meet a friend in Government Camp (2 hours from here). I was able to talk myself into making a day of it, and taking advantage of my perks and went to Ski Bowl. It was free, and cool to ride a different mountain. In hind sight I am glad I did it. I will remember the view of Mount Hood towering over the historic Warming Hut for much longer than I will remember the nap I could have taken and the dirty dishes I could have washed that day.
6) Take advantage of all the perks. The pay alone is not enough to compensate the work. Take advantage of your Ride Breaks (see #3), free season pass, bus ride to work, free coffee, and reciprocal passes to other mountains. Last Sunday was my first full day off from every job in 3 weeks. I wanted more than anything to spend the whole day sleeping or maybe cleaning house, but I had to meet a friend in Government Camp (2 hours from here). I was able to talk myself into making a day of it, and taking advantage of my perks and went to Ski Bowl. It was free, and cool to ride a different mountain. In hind sight I am glad I did it. I will remember the view of Mount Hood towering over the historic Warming Hut for much longer than I will remember the nap I could have taken and the dirty dishes I could have washed that day.
| The Sunrise Team- my super fun co-workers (it was Hawaiian shirt day) |
No comments:
Post a Comment